My Good Name 

 16 years ago on the 21st of July, I was born into the world with the name of Basel Derar Bdair. Depending on your cultural back ground then the middle name differs for each individual, But I was always taught that the middle name of an individual is always the fathers name. But let's start discussing the significance of my name and how my parents came up with it. 
"Bazel, Bazil, Basil..." No it's Ba-Sel, There' s No Z in it.  "Is it like the seasoning? Like what I put on my Spaghetti to give it a flavour? 

Yes, The examples above are actual situations I had to live through, Whether it would be in a private confrontation  when introducing myself or publicly when informing a group of students my name. The origin of the name "Basel" is known to be a "Baby"Muslin name, While the definition of Basel is in fact "Brave" And it is associated with individuals who have a brave and heroic approach to certain advertises. But Basel does vary our to many different things. For instance the very famous city of Basel located in Switzerland. So as you can see Basel is based around many different things but funnily enough I've had my name chosen because of a certain famous show "Basil Fawlty" which was a show that My parents certainly enjoyed watching it, However I don't reckon that that was a factor that played a role in their decision however it was something that was certainly mentioned when i asked them about the choice of my name.

Culturally the name Basel is as mentioned before is a muslim name that stands for Brave, However does it really reflect to my  personality as i don't see myself as that character that does things rationally with a brave approach, I'm more of a person who's careful with his decision and doesn't rush into decisions. But overall I would think that my name was chosen for the simple fact that it was a know arab name and well my parents really liked it.And the proof that supports my claim is the fact that none of my relatives are named Basel, As well as it not being any thing that related to a religious or Cultural aspect 



Comments

  1. Very interesting Basel. I learned that Basel represents Braveness in Muslim terms. I am also really impressed to see you living by your name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the last paragraph, you mentioned that you don't think of yourself as brave, due to you being careful with your decisions and not rushing into them. I think that those two aspects of personality are not necessarily mutually exclusive, which means you could be brave and just not know it, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the last paragraph, you mentioned that you don't think of yourself as brave, due to you being careful with your decisions and not rushing into them. I think that those two aspects of personality are not necessarily mutually exclusive, which means you could be brave and just not know it, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not living up to your name is perfectly fine, in fact I think it's a tad ironic! Which is good. There's nothing wrong with careful, slow decisions. Although, brave doesn't necessarily mean doing things rationally-- It can also mean making tough decisions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment