Summer Blog Post #2

Summer Blog Post#2

 My last blog discussed my overall feeling on how the summer vacation was proceeding, and at the end of the blog I proclaimed that the next blog post that I would publish (being the current one you are reading) would undoubtedly circulate on my ominous feeling towards the vast amount of tasks that really should’ve been completed through the summer break rather than approaching it in a unsystematic way that somehow always guides the person to an interchangeable path; stress. Nevertheless, I decided to turn my attention elsewhere and solely focus on discussing a very interesting and mind-altering book that was highly recommended by a family member of mine.

“Letters To A Law Student” by an Oxford educated lawyer and current professor at the University of Cambridge: Nicholas J. McBride.  

The book was highly recommended by my brother who just graduated from Law school, I was skeptical to actually go out and purchase it due to the fact I normally experience a very lackluster read when approaching “Self-help” books. Personally I preferred novels, a story with characters and a plot etc.… but I was aware that it could potentially give me a clearer insight on the legal field, and my brother made a very compelling argument when he said that University applications are getting closer, and it would be ideal to know what course I would be applying too after this year. But the thought was still eccentric; this would be my last year in high school. Moving on, I decided to purchase the book from the closest Water-Stone (Book shop) that I could lay my eyes on.

As I was waiting in line to pay for my book, I decided to briskly skim through the pages trying to find a sentence that would catch my eye. Believe it or not, I wasn’t in the mood to sit down a read a book that seemed like every “Self-help” piece. I wasn’t interested in engaging with it, and frankly I found all books that were written as a “guide” to be boring. My preference consisted off stories and characters that would be able to hook me in and invest my time trying to fathom on the world they live in.

But I decided to not let past experience hinder this one; I started to read and before I knew it, I found myself 4 chapters in within 2 hours and 30 minutes of opening the book. I didn’t want to admit it, but it was truly a fulfilling read. Not only did I feel more informed and educated on the legal field and what it was; I also learned on the academia of it and the way it is taught to other people who attempt to understand the law. Throughout my experience with the book, a certain line that stuck with me through the whole experience was a quote which said “Without doctors, many will die from sickness and without engineers many will not have shelter to live in; however without the law, we have no society to follow.”


I would advise more people to actually seek books and enhance their knowledge on their desires fields. Read from the professionals and gain a deeper insight on your passions.

Comments